Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Works-For-Me Wednesday: Homemade Book for New Moms



I ran across a book of mine a few days ago, sat right down, read through the whole thing and cried! It is such a precious book.

This book was made for and given to me at a baby shower (almost 9 years ago!!) by the ladies of my church small group. I haven't been to that church in that city in many years - it brings back special memories. It is such a wonderful idea that I wanted to share it. Any new mother would treasure it and the women who put it together for her.

My book is called "Words of Wisdom: Love and Advice for a New Mother." The front cover has signatures of all the ladies. Included inside is a fact sheet about my family, a lesson on Wisdom from scriptures, and then a sheet from each lady. Each individual sheet includes the lady's name, husband's name, anniversary date, and names/ages of children. Each lady then wrote down a piece of advice for the new mother (me!) and a favorite verse or favorite scripture for a new mother. Then all of this was professionally bound with a clear plastic cover.

All of the advice in the book is wonderful! Here are some excerpts:

"Love each day and don't worry or wish for tomorrow!"

"Whether you have a boy or a girl, dressing the baby in a gown, especially at night, sure is very convenient!"

"Laugh with him, play with him, work with him, and especially pray with him."

"When people offer help, take it."

"Be a good example in all you do & say...you'll never know what word, action, event, etc. will remain 'imprinted' into your child's memory forever."

"Release him into God's hands."

Thank you, ladies, for blessing me with your love and support during those days of being a new mommy!

You could certainly make a book like this with any theme that you like. Taking the time to collect information from ladies before a shower or a birth, binding it all together, and presenting it to a new mom works (and worked!) for me!!

Stop by Rocks In My Dryer for more great Works-For-Me Wednesday tips.


12 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea and am going to use it next time I have a baby shower to organise. Although I hate going to baby showers - go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet! A lovely gift idea for newlyweds too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea those ladies had. They really gave some great advice too, some practical, some more about the spirit. I can see why you treasure the little book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really is a great idea. :) I happen to have a baby shower to plan in October so I'll make sure to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious gift and a great idea.

    Thanks for stopping by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting idea. At my friends baby shower, they did something similar except I think they talked about their favorite Golden Book. ( my friend collects thosexlittle golden books)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really sweet idea. Could even add funny advice too. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing like a good cry. What a blessing to treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are treasures. I especially like the first one.

    Love each day and don't worry or wish for tomorrow.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so great! What a fantastic idea for a baby shower! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...