Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Works-For-Me Wednesday: Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix Packet


It's the last Works-For-Me-Wednesday at Rocks In My Dryer! Don't worry - it's not going away, it will be hosted at We Are THAT Family (another of my favorite blogs!) from now on (starting next week).

I needed a packet of Ranch dressing mix recently for a recipe, but didn't have one on hand. Then I remembered that I had a book of mix recipes! I checked and sure enough - there was a recipe for it. I already had the ingredients, so tried it out. Worked for me! And frugal too!

Here's the recipe:

2 teaspoons instant minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
(Recipe also calls for 1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate, if desired - none for me, thanks!)

Combine all ingredients in small bowl until evenly distributed. Store in air-tight container and use within 6 months. Makes 2 tablespoons mix (about equal to one packet from the store).

To make dressing:
Combine 2 tablespoons mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup milk until well blended. Chill until serving.

To make dip:
Combine 2 tablespoons mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup sour cream until well blended, Chill until serving.

And stop by Kalyn's Kitchen for a Southwest Chicken Salad recipe with a yummy Chipotle Ranch Dressing that you can make using your new homemade Ranch mix! It's one of our new favorite salads.

Can you believe it's that easy? And those packets are starting to get pricey, so this is a great money-saving idea.

Making your own mix so you know exactly what's in it and so you save money at the same time really works for me! Go on over to Rocks in My Dryer for lots of great Works-For-Me-Wednesday ideas!

Have a blessed day! :)

17 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I will be saving this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I guess I'll just have to try that my friend. I LOVE ranch dressing but only the organic kind doesn't have the msg in it and it's expensive. This is a great alternative!
    Big RANCH size hugs my friend! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And maybe some chocolate drizzled on top? (or maybe not...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That. Is. Awesome! i've been trying to use the organic stuff too and this way i can use my organic spices and be done with it! whoo hoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, I can't buy ranch packets here so I'm excited to have a good alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip...I would pass on the MSG too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip!

    Every time we need one of those packets for a recipe, I always wonder if we could just make our own. And sure enough, now we can!

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always see recipes on Zaar I'd love to try but they list a pack of ranch dressing and I can't get it in NI. Thanks so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great! I'll definitely be giving this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the recipe! That's awesome:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Can't wait to try it myself! Thanks.

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that sure sounds simple and I am ALWAYS needed a packet of that stuff. Thanks for sharing!!! yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds yummy....I was just thinking a few weeks ago about making my own dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came to your site because you are so darn sweet on twitter...and chocolate...well, chocolate is the be all and end all...and...I LOVE YOUR BLOG...so many wonderful recipes! Thanks for sharing all of these delicious treats.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooh! This is extra awesome for those of us who are lactose intolerant! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm here from "Tips & Treasures". Thank you for posting this recipe ... not only is it healthier than the store bought variety and frugal ... it's also earth-friendly. All those single serving packets really add up to a lot of waste.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh we love Ranch dressing - and we've been buying the stuff at Sam's Club - but homemade is always better - so excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...