Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cake Week Day 4 ~ More Cake Please



Welcome to Day 4 of Cake Week! Thank you to everybody who linked up fantastic cake recipes and posts yesterday - wow - yum!! You have to go back and look - there are some really wonderful cakes there. And it's not too late to link up your favorite cake post - we'll keep checking back!

In case you're just stopping by, you can get caught up here:
Day 1: Giveaways, Preview video, German Apple Cake
Day 2: Yellow Cake with raspberry filling and lemon cream cheese frosting
Day 3: Creative Cupcakes, Cake post link-ups

I love that Cake Week has been inspiring people around the blogosphere to do a little baking. Look at what Sarah Mae did at Like a Warm Cup of Coffee!! It says Cake Week on that cake - well, it did anyway. Thanks Sarah Mae! :)

You might have guessed that I like cake! Before Cake Week, I already had several cake recipes posted here.












Kahlua Cake

So much yummy cake and we're not even done yet!! Finally - here's today's cake. Found the recipe about 3 years ago in a magazine. It is best served within just a few hours after making, in my opinion. It's not too rich and not too sweet - great with a cup of coffee!


Cafe Latte Cake

Oil-and-flour baking spray
3 tablespoons freeze-dried coffee
1 container (6 oz.) coffee-flavored yogurt (Dannon makes some, found it at Safeway)
3 egg whites
Pinch of cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch ground nutmeg, plus more to garnish
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter. softened
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar

1. Heat oven to 350. Coat 3 (8.5 inch) round baking pans with oil-and-flower cooking spray. In small bowl, blend freeze-dried coffee and some water until dissolved. Stir in coffee-flavored yogurt until smooth. Set aside.

2. In bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar to medium-stiff peaks. Set aside.

3. In small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In large bowl, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in remaining 1 cup sugar until light in color, about 2 minutes.

4. On low speed, beat flour mixture, alternately with yogurt, into butter mixture until smooth. Fold in half of the egg whites to lighten, then fold in remaining whites until blended. Scrape into prepared pans, spreading level.

5. Bake at 350 about 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of layers comes out clean. Let cakes cool in pans 10 minutes. Invert cakes; remove pans; invert again. Let cool.

6. In large bowl, whip cream and confectioner's sugar to stiff peaks. Once cakes have cooled completely, place one layer on a cakestand and spread with 3/4 cup whipped cream. Top with a second layer and 3/4 cup whipped cream. Top with final layer. Swirl remaining whipped cream over top of cake. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg. Refrigerate until serving

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come back tomorrow for Chocolate Friday with a great chocolate cake and a chance for you to link up chocolate posts!

I'm linking this up to Your Life, Your Blog at Real Life. Check the links out and add your own post from the previous week!

8 comments:

  1. Ok, it's 6:15 in the morning and I am now craving cake. That's normal, right? All of those cakes look yummy. I just might be tempted to try my hand at baking one soon!

    Take care my friend!
    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're killing me over here! LOL.
    I'm going to have to book mark this page with all the recipes on it. I must try them ALL! This has been fun my friend.
    Big gaining 5 lbs every time I come to your blog size hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting really fond of No Side Frosting Cakes. I like frosting alright,however I really enjoy tasting the cake!! My family is loving you right now. A new cake each day, can go along way in getting things done,lol. They really owe me...Want cake.. do this for me.. I'll dream up one( so blog hopping I go and cake making I do) hey what do they know, My secret is safe for the time being,LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! You said the magic word: LATTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and you don't have to worry about making the frosting perfect.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm saving all these cake recipes on my pc. They all sound great. I'm going to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow...I NEED to eat that cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow, is right! I am stumbling this post, it looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...