Friday, February 5, 2010

World Nutella Day ~ Nutella Biscotti

Not only is it Chocolate Friday today (though it's usually Dessert Friday the first Friday of the month), but it's World Nutella Day!!  What a fun celebration!

World Nutella Day is hosted by Sara from Ms Adventures in Italy and Michelle from Bleeding Espresso.  This is actually the 4th one!  You really should stop over at the World Nutella Day site - there are so many great recipes there! 
 
Have you had Nutella before?  It's fantastic!  It is very dangerous though - hard not to keep eating it and it's definitely not low fat!  Or maybe you've tried another brand of chocolate hazelnut spread?  It's all good.

You might remember that I've participated in the Nutella Challenge at bell' alimento the past few months so I have been enjoying creating new Nutella recipes.
 
I created another one for you today!  It still scares me every time I try to do a recipe myself, but so far they have turned out well!  I really enjoy biscotti so I thought I should give Nutella biscotti a try.  At the same time, I wanted to test out using some healthier ingredients in my baking.  I'm happy with the result (and so is hubs)!

 
When you make biscotti, you separate it into two - I pressed almond slices into one half and sprinkled sparkle sugar onto the other half.

 
  
I decided this half needed to be drizzled with chocolate!

Nutella Biscotti

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3 eggs
1 cup sugar (I used organic evaporated cane juice)
1/2 cup Nutella
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon almond extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
2 tablespoons sparkle sugar (optional)

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment (or grease).

2.  In large bowl, beat together oil, eggs, sugar, Nutella, and extracts until well blended.  In a separate bowl, combine the flours and baking powder; stir into egg mixture to form heavy dough.  Divide dough in half.  On prepared sheet(s), form each piece into a roll about 12 inches long and 3 inches wide.  Press on sliced almonds or sprinkle sparkle sugar if desired.  (I chilled the dough for about 20 minutes at this point just to make sure it was firm enough.)

3.  Bake for 25-30 minutes in preheated oven.  Remove from baking sheet to cool on wire rack.  When cool enough to handle, slice each roll diagonally into 1/2 inch slices.  Place the slices cut side up on cookie sheet(s) without parchment.  Bake for 5 minutes.  Turn slices over and bake for additional 5 minutes.  Cool on wire rack. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After that you can drizzle on some melted chocolate if you like.  I also think these would be great with chocolate chips or vanilla chips mixed into the dough.  What do you think?  After the fact, I did see that there are a few Nutella biscotti recipes on www.nutelladay.com so you may want to check those out for other variations.

You can always celebrate World Nutella Day by making any of the other Nutella recipes I've made:

 

  

  

 

And you thought eating Nutella from the jar with a spoon was the only way to have it!  Party with Nutella today!  Stop over at World Nutella Day for lots of creative Nutella recipes and check out bell' alimento for Nutella challenge recipes!  I'm also linking this up to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing beauty and Bedlam!

Let's keep celebrating by linking up some yumminess right here today!  If you have Nutella recipes, feel free to link them up, but you can also link up dessert recipes today, and of course any chocolate posts!  Come on - bring those links - the more the merrier!

Have a Nutellerrific day friends!  :)



13 comments:

  1. Oh, I did think you could only eat it with a spoon. lol jk
    Love the stuff! I have a bread recipe that calls for Nutella that I've been wanting to try. Maybe I'll pick some up while I'm out doing errands today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your passion for Nutella is inspiring my friend. LOL! The biscotti does look delish!

    Big I'm going to create my own day some day because it seems like everyone is doing it size hugs to you! LOL!

    Have a fab day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! Yummo!!

    And just an interesting side note, Nutella is HUGE in Spain. When my daughter was there this fall, she saw it EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy World Nutella Day! Mmmh Nutella Biscotti! Delicious idea ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!, Yum!, and Yum!!

    I'd luv to sink my teeth into the biscotti drizzled with chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A) What the what?!?! I was SICK on Nutella Day?!?!?! How sad! :(

    B) Nutella biscotti-YAY!!!! Can't wait to try it.

    C) I like you and your love of Nutella! :)

    D) I'm all done. Goodbye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa - Thanks for letting me know my link wasn't working. I tried to fix it, but Mr. Linky won't let me. If you have access to it, there is a "." at the end of the URL that needs to be removed.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how I missed World Nutella Day, but I won't let that happen again :) Your Nutella recipes are just too tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I missed the DAY, but I have a Nutella memory for you...Several years ago my sister-in-law and her husband went to Paris, France on a business trip, and she brought us back some...Nutella! I had never heard of it before, and really liked it. But now I see it in my local grocery, and the thrill of having something from Paris sorta chilled...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those Nutella bites...and I want to try the cheesecake ones too! Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. =O Nutella biscotti? I think I just died and went to hazelnut heaven! I love how creative you get with Nutella, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. =O Nutella biscotti? I think I just died and went to hazelnut heaven! I love how creative you get with Nutella, great job!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...