Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Baked Caramel French Toast

For Christmas morning I wanted something special for breakfast, but I needed it to be easy since we would be going to church in the morning. I had thought about making some cinnamon rolls, but kiddo wasn't that interested (yes, this is my kid who also does not like brownies - something is clearly wrong - LOL). When I saw this recipe in my Best Recipes from American Country Inns and Bed & Breakfasts - I knew I had to try it! The best part was that I could put it together the night before and just pop it in the oven on Christmas morning!

You start with a yummy layer of caramel in the pan!

After putting in slices of French bread, you pour the egg mixture in, then cover and refrigerate overnight.

Look at that gooey caramel on top! No syrup needed here.

Baked Caramel French Toast

1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4 inch slices (I only fit 1/2 loaf or less)

In saucepan on medium-low, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Stir until melted together. Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray. Pour caramel mixture into prepared pan.

In bowl, combine eggs, milk, and vanilla. Whisk well. Arrange bread slices over caramel mixture in pan - fit as many slices as you can, but keep in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over bread slices, making sure to coat all parts of bread. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, bring the dish to room temp as you preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover baking dish and bake about 45-50 minutes. Serve directly from dish, flipping slices over onto plates so caramel layer is on top. Be sure to serve and eat right away so the caramel layer is nice and soft. After it sits for a bit, the caramel layer can get very chewy and harder to eat.

This was a fun treat for Christmas morning and a yummy version of French toast! I'd like to play around with the recipe and see what variations I could come up with. I think adding some pecans might be yummy.

I served this French toast with some bacon and Fabulous Fruit Salad (couldn't find nectarines for it so I subbed some white peaches I found). Did you have something special for breakfast Christmas morning? Do you have a fave French toast recipe?

This post is linked to:
 ~ Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
 ~ Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
 ~ Chic & Crafty at The Frugal Girls
 ~ Fusion Fridays at Jane Deere

Have a delicious day friends!

7 comments:

  1. So did the kiddo like it? LOL! I mean it is all based around that isn't it?
    It does look DELICIOUS!!

    Big maple syrup would put it WAY over the edge where there's no turning back size hugs to you!

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds yummy! Will have to try this! :)

    Thanks for sharing and hope your New Year is off to a wonderful start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That looks & sounds delicious! I LOVE me some French Toast. So I might definitely have to try it...soon!

    Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love those delicious dishes that can be made ahead of time. Anything that I can just throw in the oven in my pre-coffee daze that comes out looking that good is wonderful in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love all that sweet caramel! I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your french toast up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so yummy! I am going to try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stayed at someone's house while on choir tour and the inspirational woman made this for us for breakfast. (That was merely 8 hours after making us crepes with nutella and ice cream for a late night snack) Her caramel was almost crunchy on top, but when I made it at home, mine was soggy throughout. :( How was your texture?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...