Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pear Week ~ Pear Cake

I'm enjoying Pear Week and I hope you are too!  Be sure to check out Slow Cooker Pear Sauce and Maple Pecan Pear Muffins if you missed them.

I thought that I should use up a few pears by putting them in cake.  I found a great apple cake recipe at Reluctant Entertainer and read that she had subbed pears in the recipe.  I added pears and healthified the recipe a little with a few other changes - turned out great!


I knew that I wanted to make this cake to put in the freezer, so how was I supposed to sample it to make sure it really was delicious?  Well, putting some of the batter into a jumbo-muffin tin was just the thing!  C'mon - I gotta have a taste!  :)  This cake is perfection with whipped cream added!


You don't have to peel the pears in this recipe, which saves you some time (and we all could use a little more time, right?).  Look at those lovely big chunks of pears inside...


Pear Cake
adapted from Reluctant Entertainer

4 cups chopped unpeeled pears
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup pear sauce (could use apple sauce)
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup raw honey*
2 eggs
1 cup unbleached flour**
1 cup white whole wheat flour**
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup chopped pecans for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (may want to decrease temp a bit if you are using the raw honey as it browns quicker).  Using electric mixer, mix all ingredients together except pears and topping.  Fold in pears.  Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup chopped pecans over top.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Top with whipped cream and enjoy!

* If you don't have raw honey, increase sugar to 1 1/3 cups.
** Could also use 2 cups all-purpose flour instead of the unbleached and white whole wheat flours

This is not only a good dessert, but a nice coffee cake as well!  Mmph...oh sorry...had my mouth full!  ;)

So now I've covered muffins, sauce, and cake.  Up next is pie!  I've got to cover all the food groups you know - LOL!  :)  Thanks again for stopping by Pear Week!

This post is linked to:
~ Chic & Crafty Party at The Frugal Girls
~ Fusion Fridays at Jane Deere


Have a stupendous day friends!

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading and looking at this. How did I not comment? I must have been interrupted. LOL!

    THIS looks really really yummy. I mean really yummy.

    Big I think this is my favorite and it almost slipped by me but you've always got my back size hugs to you.

    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments! Thank you for stopping and smelling the chocolates with me!! Currently disabled anonymous comments due to spam attempts - thanks for understanding!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...